The N.C. Health Care Personnel Registry Section
The N.C. Health Care Personnel Registry Section operates for unlicensed health care workers, their employers and their educators. The section manages North Carolina's registries for Nurse Aide I, Medication Aide, Geriatric Aide, Home Care Aide and Health Care Personnel. The section regulates aide training and testing programs, and investigates workers accused of certain acts against a resident or facility. » Read More…
01/29/2016 New Required Training Rule to go into effect March 1, 2016- A new Rule, 10A NCAC 13O.0301, was recently approved by the Rules Division of the N.C. Office of Administrative Hearing and adopted by the N.C. Division of Health Service Regulation. Beginning March 1, 2016, individuals wishing to take the North Carolina Nurse Aide I Competency Exam must complete state-approved training in order to register and schedule the exam. There will be few exceptions to this new requirement. Therefore the last day to challenge and/or receive a Pearson VUE "authorization to test" is February 29, 2016. Additional information regarding the upcoming changes will be posted on this site and on the Pearson VUE registration site.
- Note to test candidates testing for nursing school - Students planning to take the NNAAP exam as part of a requirement for a college/nursing school application must follow the same rules as all test candidates. Please make sure you register/schedule your test in a timely manner. Keep in mind that tests do occasionally get rescheduled due to weather or other unexpected emergencies.
- New Listing Verification Search Parameters for Registries: Effective during the month of July, 2015- Please note that the search criteria for obtaining listing verifications of the NC Nurse Aide I, Medication Aide, and Health Care Personnel Registries will change. Instead of full social security numbers, required data fields will include first name, last name, and last four digits of the SSN. Please note that individuals are listed using the name on their legal documents such as a driver’s license, passport, social security card, military ID, and/or other official government identification documents. It is the individual’s responsibility to contact our office to update name and address changes.
- The Adult Care Licensure section’s testing program has been transitioned to the Health Care Personnel Registry section. All functions related to the Adult Care Medication Aide, Administrator, and Alternative testing programs have moved to the Brown building on the Dorothea Dix campus. At this time, all phone numbers and mailing addresses will remain the same. Walk-in registrations for Adult Care testing should be done at the Joseph Gill Brown Building on the Dix campus, 801 Biggs Drive, Raleigh, N.C. For all other Adult Care informational needs, please continue to contact that section at 919-855-3765. Websites are currently being updated to reflect this information for your convenience.
- 919-855-3969: Nurse Aide I Registry/Medication Aide (nursing homes)/Geriatric Aide/Home Care Aide
- 919-855-3970: Nurse Aide Training Program Information
- 919-855-3793: Adult Care Testing information
- 919-855-3765: Adult Care Home Licensure and Certification main number
- Please note that not all nurse aide training programs in NC are state-approved and monitored for federal and state compliance. A list of state-approved nurse aide training programs is updated and published each month.
Denotes link to site outside of N.C. DHHS